Currently nearly £3m worth of food is imported by the island every year. With the rising rate of population and increasing number of visitors, ESH hopes to facilitate business and investment in the agriculture industry to combat the island’s rising trade deficit. Much of the farm land on the island is crown land which is leased by the Agriculture and Natural Resources Directorate (ANRD). ANRD offers businesses the following services:
- The leasing of agricultural land or buildings which also serves to accommodate investors.
- Pesticide and spraying services.
- Farmer extension support services.
- Livestock and poultry veterinary and nucleus bloodline services.
- Animal and plant biosecurity services.
Click here to read about the St Helena health standard for the importation of bee products and bee keeping equipment. Click here to read about the health import standard for importation of plant material for growing purposes. Click here to read more about the ANRD policy for importation of plant material to St Helena.